A plan and some motivation will help you achieve your health and fitness goals
December 5, 2016 | By adminis
Get ready to welcome 2017! Many people choose January as an opportunity to make a fresh start… a time to commit to a healthier lifestyle. If you’re among this group, here are some things to keep in mind:
- Set realistic goals – things you know that with some hard work and dedication you can actually achieve.
- Develop an action plan that outlines the steps you will take to achieve your goal.
- Share your resolution: Share your goals with friends and family and request their support as you put your plan into action.
With goals and a plan to achieve them in place, staying motivated becomes essential – not always easy for those new or returning to exercise. Worry not! Today I’m sharing tips to help you get started and stay on course:
- Make a commitment to fitness and health and write down your reasons for wanting these things (i.e. “to be a healthier role model for my kids”). Revise your reasons and review your plan often… especially when you find yourself losing motivation.
- Choose activities you enjoy and you’ll be more likely to stick with them. Find walking a little boring? Add some poles and amp it up! Hate the gym? Strap on some snowshoes and hit the trails with your dog. Participate in activities you like and you’ll be more likely to stick with them.
- Go solo or find your pack – exercise with a friend, join a gym, or plug in and enjoy some “me” time.
- Try new activities. Nordic walking is something to be enjoyed in every season. Add poles and you’ve got a full-body, budget-friendly workout that torches calories. Take your poles along on hikes and on winter snowshoe adventures too. Why not try this 10 Week Starter Program?
- Create a catch phrase and say it over and over when you find yourself in danger of throwing in the towel. I like to remind myself on tough runs that exercise is a privilege, not a punishment.
- Practice mental imagery. Picture yourself being active, following through on your commitment to a healthier lifestyle, overcoming set-backs, and achieving success.
- Get tough. Don’t wonder if you can actually reach your goals. Believe you can and you will!
Why wait for a new year to get started? Every day offers a fresh start. Make today yours!
For moderately steep slopes, simply decrease the pressure on the base of the handles or drag your poles behind you. For steep slopes, keep your poles upright and in front and out to the side slightly, so if you do fall you won’t land on your poles. Bend your knees and elbows, and slow down any momentum. For long descents, it may be helpful to lengthen the poles.
–Barb Gormley, Director of Education